All in a Day's Work
A lot of people ask me what I do for a living, and sometimes it's difficult to explain. The short of it is that I work for a consulting firm which primarily consists of engineers, but I am not an engineer. I am a planner, which can mean many different things. Most of the time, for me it means that I study the social and environmental impacts of transportation projects, and I help clients (mostly public agencies) navigate through the state and federal environmental processes. While that is the base of what I do, my day-to-day duties can vary widely. This is partly the nature of planning, partly the nature of consulting firms, and partly the nature of ME, in that I like to dabble in lots of things. Today was no exception, and as I look back on the day I realize it's a nice snapshot of the potential things I can do in a day. It was a bit of an atypical day because I had an evening meeting, which doesn't happen often. But here's an overview of what I might do in a day, as represented by today's events:
- meeting with northern suburb city administrator regarding potential commuter rail station in that community
- meeting to discuss operation and maintenance facility options for a light rail transit line between Minneapolis and St. Paul, and potential impacts to historic and recreational resources
- conference call to discuss interchange design concepts for a highway project, and planning for next public open house
- Update resume for proposal due 9/15
-Work with supervisee to plan a field visit to several potential commuter rail station sites for a feasibility study we are doing
- Answer calls from property owners in small town west of Minneapolis, regarding revised shoreland ordinance I authored
- Planning Commission meeting to present said ordinance in front of about 50 residents (got tables so I'll be back again in a month)
Tomorrow I will:
- tour a 30-mile proposed commuter rail corridor and field visit (take photos and document natural resources) 7 potential station sites.
- attend committee meeting of one community in the corridor to give overview of project
- return to office and finalize environmental document for highway project that affects a U.S. Fish and Wildlife easement
- finish invoicing for 3 projects I am managing - one day late because I was too busy to do it today!
That's me in a nutshell. Any given day, I could be doing something different...but this is a good representation. Highway and transit projects, feasibility studies and environmental documents, with a little project management thrown in. Such is my daily grind!
4 comments:
I think I knew most of that, but I guess I didn't realize you were so much out of the office.
Which reminds me that I was supposed to blog about my job, which is sometimes difficult to explain as well:)
I didn't realize you do all of that. You are a pretty busy lady. Good overview.
Well, that saves me asking the question that was going to be asked to you very soon by me!! Good to see us Carver Hall kids doing well for ourselves in the real world!
I understand all too well. Planners ....we are a unique bunch!
Post a Comment