Monday, September 22, 2008

Tunes on 2s - Electric Youth – Debbie Gibson (1989)

Listen/watch here

E-lec-tric Youth!
Feel the power, you see the energy
Comin’ up, comin’ on strong
The future only belongs to the future itself
And the future is…Electric Youth!


I'm throwing you a curveball here...hey, I never said these Tunes on 2s would be about good songs, just songs that held particular memories for me.

I cannot tell you how many hours were spent dancing to this song on the brown livingroom carpet of the house I grew up in. I have no idea where anyone else was, but dude…I was busting out with moves I believed to be as close to the music video as you could get. The song incited some kind of power, some kind of ambivalence…yeah! We are Electric Youth! We know what’s up! We are cool! We have mediocre dance moves! Debbie Gibson is awesome! My love of the song created a need to have the accompanying Electric Youth fragrance, which took its rightful place on my dresser next to the Xclamation! and Love’s Baby Soft – the trio of toilet water that constituted every pre-teen girls’ fragrance collection in the late 80s/early 90s. When I needed a break from all that dancing and smelling pretty, I just forwarded the cassette tape to “Lost in Your Eyes” and expressed the flutters of my adolescent heart in song (you know you secretly still love it).

Since I embarassed my parents last time, I'll embarass myself by shooting you a photo from 1989, when I was rocking the big bad brown glasses.


It's doubtful Tunes on 2s will ever feature Debbie Gibson again, so feel free to share memories for anything in her repertoire of songs.

7 comments:

Kristi @ Sunday Afternoon said...

to everything you said

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, fast forwarding cassette tapes. Thank god for technology.

Michelle B said...

I feel you! Loved DG! Had the scent...danced...loved! Her and Tiffany!

Anonymous said...

You know you are speaking my language!!!!! I remember walking into junior high and the whole school reeking of that lovely sweet Electric Youth smell.

I have her greatest hits on my Ipod and you know I am not ashamed!!!!

Kristi @ Sunday Afternoon said...

I meant to say "ditto" to everything you said! Not sure what happened to the beginning of my sentence:(

Laura said...

Whenever I hear Lost in your eyes I have to sing along...

We were the hottest chicks on our softball team that year:)

Anonymous said...

Don't want to burst any one's bubble but in 1999 MTV did a thing called "25 Lame" in which viewers voted on the worst of what ever. They did worst music video and Electric Youth was voted 10th worst music video of all time......