Little Sponge
One morning last week, I put Lucy in her carseat, got in the driver's seat and prepared to start the car, only to hear:
"Got get juicy!"
It is not unusual for this little girl to request things randomly, like juice ("juicy"). She typically moves onto something else rather quickly. In this case, I absentmindedly said something like "OK, not right now honey," while continuing to organize my bags and get going.
But she was persistent.
"MOMMY. Got get juicy!" I looked back at her this time, and she was pointing out the window, with a look of "LADY, DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ME?!" on her face.
My brain scanned for a few seconds, and then it hit me.
Every morning, I grab a diet green tea from the shelf by the garage door. Just the day before, I had gotten in the driver's seat and then exclaimed, "Oops, I forgot something!" then proceeded to walk around the front of the car, grab the bottle, and get back in.
She was telling me I forgot to get my juice! (And she was right, I had done it again!)
I am amazed on a daily basis by how much this little lady is retaining. She is constantly listening and watching, and in recent weeks we've really realized it's all sinking in - not just repeating, but remembering and applying it to the current situation.
My little sponge.
1 comment:
My brother got those "Your Baby Can Read" dvds...and I tell you that it is kinda creepy but amazing seeing an 18 month old read flash cards. And it is not just memorization, the word can be written differently and in a different style and he still gets it. Baby's brains are definitely a sponge.
Post a Comment