Wednesday, June 04, 2008

"Marking" the Occasion

Yesterday was our anniversary. We really hadn’t made any concrete plans, and the day before I had the opportunity to get some Minnesota Twins tickets from a co-worker. We decided that would be a fun thing to do, so we celebrated 2 years of wedded bliss at the Metrodome. We shared nachos. Very romantic. (Twins lost to Baltimore, 5-3).

The real excitement, though, came before we even left for the game. We were playing with Buddy a little bit, feeling bad about having to put him back in the crate so soon after we got home. Nothing gets his tail wagging more than a tennis ball – he loves for us to throw it down the hallway downstairs so he can fetch it and bring it back. Husband wanted to see what he would do with TWO tennis balls. It was quite funny; he would bring one back, roll it to Husband, and be off after the second one that was thrown. He was loving it, and it was pretty cute. He was really excited. So excited in fact, that when we stopped, he peed. On the carpet.

I quickly grabbed his collar and started dragging him toward the back door, zig-zagging all the way. Once we got to the door, he actually stopped to pee on the doorframe. As if we weren’t inches from outside. I got him out the door and he was still peeing. Apparently he had been storing it up! I put him on the zip line and shut the door so he would get the message I was upset and that is something he should definitely not do (the worst thing to Buddy is if you give him the cold shoulder – he loves attention).

Exasperated, I came back to the moment and heard chuckling in the background. Husband said “have you seen this yet?” I turned around slowly, and to my horror, there was pee EVERYWHERE. That zig-zagging I mentioned? Yeah, he was peeing the whole time. Luckily, minus the initial offense to the carpet, it was all on tile. I followed the trail around the corner and we both just bursted out laughing.

That was the first “accident,” and it probably could have been prevented. I know this because as we were cleaning it up, I asked,

“So did you take him outside when you got home?” (Husband got home before me and let Buddy out of the crate)

“Um….yes? I think so?”

Which in Husband speak means, “probably not.” Poor puppers! He’d been holding that pee in for so long, and the tennis ball game just got him too excited. So excited he peed his proverbial pants.

Safe to say we won’t forget this anniversary anytime soon!

1 comment:

Kristi @ Sunday Afternoon said...

Funny story! No I bet you'll never forget that story...and I bet you'll never forget to let the dog out when you get home either!!