Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Joys of a Five-Year-Old Companion
Yesterday after our morning of house-hunting, I told Husband I needed "a boost." He promptly called up his sister and asked if we could possibly have our niece for an overnight visit, knowing that a little time with Miss H always cheers me up. My SIL had her husband out of the house for the evening, and needless to say, having the house to herself for the evening sounded pretty appealing, so about 4PM our little visitor was dropped off.

Oh, the fun we had! We played cards, we read books, we baked a cake and made supper, we watched the movie Heidi (which I wasn't sure about, but she seemed to really like) and as always, had some interesting conversations. I've shared some H-isms in the past, but here are a few from this visit:

[playing Go Fish]

Me: "Shall we play another game?"

H: "I don't think so. I think maybe it's too hard for you.

Touche...she did beat me 3 games in a row.

[reading "Barbie Loves Cheerleading"]

H: "Which one of these cheerleaders do you like the best?"

Me: "Hmmm...I like this one. She has pretty brown hair."

H: "I like this one." [points to page] "She has glasses and I just can't stop LOOKING at them!"

I wish I could adequately express the emphasis and importance she conveyed when she said this, it was totally hilarious!

[While eating supper]

Me: "OK, if you have 2 more pieces of potato, then you can be done."

H: [sticks one piece in her mouth] "I just stuck one piece in my mouth, and I bited it, and so now it's two!"

How can you argue with rationale like that?

[before going downstairs to "surprise" Husband and Brandon]

H: "OK, I'm going down there to sneak up on them. So you gotta be very quiet up here, don't move, and don't make a peek."

Me: "Don't make a what?"

H: "Don't make a PEEK I said!"

Consequently I remained still and not a peek was heard. :)

[Upon being asked to go downstairs and tell her uncle goodnight...I heard the conversation went down like this:]

H: "Uncle __."

Husband: "Yes?"

H: "I'M sleeping with Auntie Jess, not YOU."

There you have it. She was tons of fun, as always, and I am sufficiently boosted. Thanks H!


No comments: