Thursday, March 15, 2007

March Madness

Basketball rarely gets me excited anymore, except if I'm watching the Hawkeyes (and we all know how well that went this year). I HATE NBA basketball (traveling, double-dribbling egomaniacs), but I've always had a soft spot for college, especially at this time of year. It's exciting! Close games, heartwrenching stories. This is sports, America.

For the past several years I have filled out an NCAA bracket and participated in a pool, typically run by my brother Josh. Husband does not pay in, but he fills out a bracket just to compete with me. This year there was a big pool that my new office is participating in, so Josh and I joined that one. 65 people in at $5 each; I could stand to make a little pocket change. Thought I have to say, the guy I gave my money to looked thoroughly confused and didn't say much. I figured out later that I was the only female in the office that is participating. Like that's never happened to me before.

Historically I have done pretty well in "bracketology." There is limited rhyme or reason to my selections. Occasionally I may read a little bit about teams before I pick, but generally I have these tendencies:
1) Lean toward Big Ten teams
2) Always pick Gonzaga to win at least the first round, because I just like to say "Gonzaga"
3) Don't pick Oral Roberts because c'mon - say that 5 times fast
4) Of course, always count on some upsets. At least one 5/12 seed game is usually a lock.

I don't feel like I'm giving you all any secrets, because really it's just a crapshoot. And may the best woman win!

1 comment:

The Palmers said...

sounds like you do have fun with the march madness craze!!! Chuck and I are getting into Nascar. We do the Fantasy Nascar through Yahoo and set up a team thingy...where all his family plays too! It's pretty exciting and every week I get more and more into choosing my drivers and such. I haven't been following the bbal games now since Iowa didn't get in. anyways, hope that the teams you picked are doing well!!!