Is that freedom rock man? Well, turn it up, man!
Lastnight my friend Kate was in town from Chicago, so I went out with her and a few other friends. Our plan was to meet in downtown Minneapolis for some drinks, then go see Scott Munns. Our friend Res had seen him before, supposedly it was just him and a guitar.
So we had the drinks and then walked down the block to The Lodge Bar for the music. The atmosphere was a little different than I was expecting. The throngs of 21-year-olds gyrating to the pumping dance music of Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, etc. did not fit the mindset I was in...how did a one-man acoustic show blend in with this??
As it turns out, the one-man show was actually a 2-man show with full drum kit and electric guitar, and that night they functioned as a cover band, playing mostly classics from the 70s and 80s, with a few whimsical renditions of current hits (Timberlake's "Sexy Back" was a highlight). Aside from the fact we were about 10 years older than 80% of the crowd, it was pretty entertaining, including:
Guy: Hi, I'm Pat.
Me: Hi.
Guy: And your name is?
Me: Linda.
Guy: It's my birthday.
Me: Well, happy birthday!
Guy: Aren't you going to ask what birthday?
Me: OK, what birthday?
Guy: Guess.
Me: [sigh] 24?
Guy: Hey, thanks!
Me: Older or younger?
Guy: Why would I thank you if it was older? 26. [winces] I'm old.
Me: Why is that old?
Guy: Because I'm like, 4 years from 30.
Me: I'm 30.
Guy: No way! That's cool. How did you handle that?
Me: No big deal. 30s are a fun time.
Guy: I don't know, it's like every year is closer to death.
Me: [supressing severe urge to roll eyes] Don't take it so seriously. [pats him dismissively on shoulder] Happy Birthday then.
Guy: Uh, ok. See you. Have a nice night.
My other observation from the night is this...as I sat there watching people born in 1985 get all excited and pack the dance floor for "Sweet Home Alabama" ca. 1974, and "You Shook Me All Night Long" ca. 1980, I am thinking "how do they know these songs?" But then again, how do I know these songs? For the first I wasn't even born yet (and I've never even been to Alabama), for the second I was only 4 years old and I seriously doubt I was into AC/DC. Yet I still rock out to both.
These songs have transcended decades and found an entirely new audience. They just don't make them like that anymore. Where are all those classic guitar riffs? But I did catch myself with a pang of jealousy when I heard all these young-uns shouting their drunken hearts out to Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name" ca 1986. Hey, that's one of MY songs! (Come on, you know you're singing it, 'Shot through the heart, and you're to blame...")
The power of music. But will kids in 2026 will be dancing and screaming to Britney Spears, All America Rejects, Beyonce, Eminem?? These songs have their place, but are they destined to be classics? Will music change to an all-techno format? Or will my kids still bob their heads and mouth that classic line"turn it up..." when they hear Sweet Home Alabama? Will that song even be played anymore in 20 years? It remains to be seen.
Author's Note: I just relayed this story to Husband, and he responded by chuckling and giving me a resounding "You're getting OLD!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment