To celebrate the good weather this weekend, and because my husband took the initiative to ask, I took a walk with my boys on Saturday afternoon. It was a beautiful fall afternoon, the sun was shining, and the bare trees let us see all the bird nests in the trees, and all of the critters crunching around in the fallen leaves. The boys were playing catch with a football along the path, and I caught the occasional errant pass and tossed it back to Brandon. I was promptly told, by my husband, that I threw like a girl. I remember a time when that would have offended me, but hey, I AM a girl. I do admit that when he showed me the "right" way to throw, it was much improved. So I learned a little something.
Sunday I was hoping to repeat the experience, but the boys were distracted by indoor activities so I went alone. I strolled along, listening to the chicka-dee-dee-dees and all the other bird noises and looking up at the treetops to see what I could see, and something caught my eye. A snow-white squirrel.
This was toward the end of my loop and near home, so I hustled back to grab the cam and get a photo. I have to admit, I was a little excited (and I know you're all thinking - what's with this woman and squirrels?) I told Husband and he chuckled, non-impressed. Apparently this is nothing new to him, this albino squirrel thing. Which of course, deflated me like a popped balloon. It's the little things, babe, the little things...these small wonders keep me going. Every once in awhile I like to get back to my tree huggin', John Denver-lovin' self and just look around. It's such a simple way to derive joy in everyday life.
I think he realized the husbandly mistake and tried to act interested, but by that time I was over it and decided if this phenomenon was new to me, it may be new to some of you too. So I walked back, and it was still sitting there, pretty thing.
Anyway, here it is...for those of you who've never seen one, let me know I'm not alone!
3 comments:
I have never seen an albino squirrel and thanks to you now I have. Thanks for taking the time to "just look around"!
Not only have I seen an albino squirrel, within the last month or so, I saw an all black squirrel chasing after an albino squirrel....I have seen both before, but never chasing/playing with one another
That's pretty cool! I have seen a black squirrel before too - Mom and Dad used to have one in the neighborhood. I bet few people have seen them together!
Post a Comment