Sunday, November 05, 2006

Kids These Days

Yesterday Brandon came into the livingroom while I was watching the Hawkeye game. He watched for a bit and then asked "Is it a penalty when you call a fair catch and then don't go after the ball?"

My first inclination was to look for my husband, the walking encyclopedia of sports trivia. With him nowhere in sight, I considered the question and applied my minimal football knowledge and some common sense. "I would think so," I said, proud of myself. Here's me, bonding with my 13-year-old stepson.

"I thought so," he said. "That's why I keep getting penalties when I play. I call it but then I don't try for the ball."

Just when I'm about to put on my compassionate yet authoritative parent voice and talk to him about why he doesn't try for the ball, something clicks. He's not talking about actually playing a game of football, as in outside with other kids...he's talking about playing a video game.

How times have changed. Yet another realization in the life of a new stepmom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, if the receiving teams calls for a fair catch, they do NOT have to go after the ball. Many times you will see the receiving team player stading at the 10yard line, wave his hand in the air for a fair catch and then let the ball fly over his head, hoping for it to go into the end zone for a touchback. The reason he calls for the fair catch with no intention to catch the ball, is to try to distract the punting teams tacklers to come toward him and not down the ball inside the 10 yard line....did that make sense?

jessov said...

Sneaky...I did not know that. Brandon is getting penalized in his game for something else then! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I did a little checking into this rule, and aapparently, if you call for a fair catch, you cannot touch anyone on the kicking team, this would result in a penalty....ask him about that