Dear Iowa Hawkeyes,
Needless to say, it's been a rough season. The first half looked promising, the last half was a joke. Ohio State, I can understand. Michigan. But Indiana? Northwestern? And the final stab wound...your last game of the season.
I wore my Hawkeye shirt with pride, and my brother and sister-in-law drove up from Iowa for the game. We endured the cold to get just the perfect tickets. Hawkeye support was strong in "Kinnick North." This game was in the bag. You were going to end the season strong and head into your bowl game with a new attitude. You were going to prevent Minnesota from being bowl-eligible, give me some bragging rights over my Gopher-loving friends and family.
The first half wasn't bad. But there were too many gaps in the defense. Missed tackles. And that ill-fated interception at the very end of the half, when you were 1 yard away from taking the lead. Boy, what a different game it could have been.
Why must you torment us? Your fans, generations of good Iowa folks, some who don't even live there anymore, but still remain faithful. Why make use hear, repeatedly:
"And that's another Gollllllden Gopherrrrrr...FIRST DOWN!"
That got annoying.
Minnesota fans grew louder. "We hate Iowa" was chanted repeatedly. And we left the Dome shaking our heads.
Did you even want to play? How bad did you want it? You were tentative when you should have been tenacious. Minnesota wanted it more. They played better. They deserved to win.
The thing is - I still love you, Hawkeyes. You disappointed me, and I might be mad for awhile. I only lecture because I care. Please, get your act together before your Bowl game. I'll be watching.
Regards,
Minnesota Transplant, Hawk Fan for Life

Needless to say, it's been a rough season. The first half looked promising, the last half was a joke. Ohio State, I can understand. Michigan. But Indiana? Northwestern? And the final stab wound...your last game of the season.
I wore my Hawkeye shirt with pride, and my brother and sister-in-law drove up from Iowa for the game. We endured the cold to get just the perfect tickets. Hawkeye support was strong in "Kinnick North." This game was in the bag. You were going to end the season strong and head into your bowl game with a new attitude. You were going to prevent Minnesota from being bowl-eligible, give me some bragging rights over my Gopher-loving friends and family.
The first half wasn't bad. But there were too many gaps in the defense. Missed tackles. And that ill-fated interception at the very end of the half, when you were 1 yard away from taking the lead. Boy, what a different game it could have been.
Why must you torment us? Your fans, generations of good Iowa folks, some who don't even live there anymore, but still remain faithful. Why make use hear, repeatedly:
"And that's another Gollllllden Gopherrrrrr...FIRST DOWN!"
That got annoying.
Minnesota fans grew louder. "We hate Iowa" was chanted repeatedly. And we left the Dome shaking our heads.
Did you even want to play? How bad did you want it? You were tentative when you should have been tenacious. Minnesota wanted it more. They played better. They deserved to win.
The thing is - I still love you, Hawkeyes. You disappointed me, and I might be mad for awhile. I only lecture because I care. Please, get your act together before your Bowl game. I'll be watching.
Regards,
Minnesota Transplant, Hawk Fan for Life

1 comment:
Post a Comment