Wednesday, November 14, 2012

EWG Guide to Healthy Cleaning

Finally! The Environmental Working Group has come out with a list rating household cleaners. I've been using the SkinDeep database for years for beauty products, and have been wanting to know a bit more about household cleaners.

Although I'm sure some of this warrants being taken with a grain of salt, it seems to be a pretty comprehensive guide. It also reveals how deceptive packaging can be. For awhile, I have been using this stain remover. If you look closely, you can see a "Greenlist" emblem on the label. I assumed this meant it was environmentally-friendly. But according to this database, it scores an F, the worst you can get! Upon more detailed research, Greenlist is a process deployed by the company who makes the products, not an independent reviewer as I assumed.While some strides have been made, there is still apparently a long way to go.

My other surprise on this list was that my go-to HE laundry detergent, Seventh Generation, did not fare well. The one I use in particular scored a D. "D" is for disappointing! Across the board on other projects, they did not score as well as I would have expected. I just switched to Whole Foods 365 Everyday laundry detergent, unscented. I'll let you know how it works! I've got some other cleaners that may need replacing, and others I thought might be bad that actually aren't. For example - "Lysol Professional Disinfectant Power Toilet Bowl Cleaner" just sounds like an earth-polluting product by nature, doesn't it? Not so. Actually scored a B. Just goes to show, don't judge a book by its cover.

Any products you were surprised by in this database?



3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am shocked that Seventh Generation didn't score well! Guess I'm switching again. Ugh. I am so grateful they have a household cleaners section now!! It will make my shopping so much easier. I love the Skin Deep database. It was down for about a month, I panicked.
According to my doc Mrs. Meyers ingredient-wise is not the best, yet she has tested it with her patients and they all fare well, so apparently it's not bad.

Unknown said...

So apparently the powder rates better than the liquid. Weird.

http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/2735-SeventhGenerationNaturalLaundryDetergentPowderFreeClear

jessov said...

Yeah, that's kind of typical I think. I prefer liquid so that makes it harder!