Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Happy Birthday, Lucy

Dear Lucy,

Today you are 3 years old.

Let’s let that sink in.


You are so different than you were just a year ago. Now at age 3, you seem like such a big girl. Even the world seems to be saying that 3 is an important age – a whole new world of art projects, games, and activities starts at “3 and up.” You seem up for the challenge.

Physically, you are still a big, tall girl. You like to say to people, “wanna see how big I am?” and then stand up to show them. Your hair still garners lots of comments, from “where did you get that blonde hair?” to “I would kill for that hair!” Your little curls and waves have stayed, and we’re trying to get your bangs to catch up with the length in the back. You will tolerate barrettes but rare is the day you will wear a ponytail, even though you look so cute in one. Most of the time your hair is a little crazy but truthfully, that seems to suit you, so I don’t force it! Your dimples are one in a million and one of your daddy’s most prominent signatures on your face. Otherwise, this year you have really started to look a lot like your mama. You love your skirts and girly-girl things, but I also find plenty of rocks and pinecones in your pocket. I love it!



You are always on the move. It’s hard to keep up sometimes! You adore the outdoors, whether it’s kicking a ball around or helping water the flowers. You’re still getting the hang of pedaling your tricycle, but by the end of the summer you’ll be a pro. Inside, you often beg us to “just play.” You like blocks, cars, stuffed animals and dolls, and dressing up. Your time in preschool has really amplified your love of coloring, and you also like to paint and draw on your chalkboard. Your drawing has taken on more purpose and your objects have started resemble the real thing.


For as much as you move, you will sit still for a movie. The DVDs we have watched most often are Tangled, Monsters, Inc., Lilo and Stitch, and The Lion King. The Sound of Music has even gotten a few spins. For awhile you were requesting a movie every night, but we’ve tried to steer you away from that (easier now that it’s nice and we can be outside), and have special movie times on the weekends. You also get to watch a little bit of the preschool channel “Sprout” in the morning and sometimes before bed. For all this exposure you certainly have characters you like, but you aren’t too attached to any one. I kind of like that. We’ve got a lifetime of Disney princesses and Dora crazes ahead; it’s good to keep your options open.

You are always talking, and you speak pretty clearly and use lots of words for your age. You are so smart! You are curious about everything and I have seen some creativity emerge, where your stories are not just about what you know, but what you imagine. You love music and are a sweet little singer – you can actually carry a tune and it’s very adorable! You are funny and clever and stubborn and sassy and did I say stubborn? You certainly know how to test us, and I think you are a little bit caught between being a big girl and wanting to do things for yourself, and still wanting mommy and daddy to do things for you. I can understand, little girl, because I’m caught in that same place myself. I want you to be independent and self-reliant, but sometimes I long for the little one who is most content in her mama’s lap. You are just growing up so fast…but you’re still pretty free with those hugs and kisses, so I’ll take them all while you’re still offering. You are amazing, and Daddy and I are so lucky to have you.


Love you,
Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Lucy! What a lucky girl she is to have you as a mama!

Laura