Monday, May 28, 2012

"Big"  Birthday Party

On Sunday we had family over to celebrate Lucy's birthday. We ate lunch, opened gifts, had cake and ice cream, and tried to beat the 90+ degree heat and humidity. Lucy got lots of clothes for her birthday this year, in fact lots of people shopped at the same place and picked very accurately items that were "so Lucy..." so we had a few duplicates, which was very funny.  However, I think the biggest hit was the new Barbie and convertible from Auntie Marcey and Uncle Haver.



For weeks (maybe even months) this girl has been saying she is having "chocolate cake with chocolate frosting" for her birthday. I was struggling to come up with some sort of theme to go with the very brown edibles. About three days before the party, I decided to theme the party loosely after one of her favorite books "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." For those of you unfamiliar, it's an Eric Carle book about a caterpillar who hatches and is very hungry, and it chronicles all the things he eats on the different days of one week, ending with him building a cocoon and crawling out as a beautiful butterfly. On Saturday, he eats a bunch of junk food and gets a stomachache, and one of those foods is chocolate cake. I didn't go too far with the theme because honestly it was probably lost on this mostly-adult crowd (and I didn't have much time!) but I was able to get a couple of cute things done.

All in all, it was a good party and it was great to see family and give Lucy a chance to play with her little girl cousin. Thanks to Husband for acting as head caterer, and to my parents for staying up late with me to make cake pops!

Inspiration for this banner was from here, and I made a couple
of my own modifications. Turned out really cute!

I ordered a chocolate cake from Target, and added some sprinkles and cake pops to make a caterpillar,
as well as some strawberries (notice the holes because he "ate" through them!

Here you can see how we added the pops.

A better pic of the cake pops, pre-cake. I got the idea here and followed the tutorial.

No comments: