Friday, January 01, 2010

Top 10 of 2009

Happy New Year! Per the tradition I started last year, here is the list of the top 10 events around our house this year (in chronological order):

1. Being pregnant. I know this might sound absurd, but I really enjoyed being pregnant. Sure, it had its down sides…but overall it just amazed me every day that my body could cook a baby.

2. Brandon moving in with us. It was a long, frustrating road to get there, but so worth it in the end. Life got better for all of us.

3. Lucy’s birth. I will never, ever forget the moment I held my daughter in my arms for the first time. I never thought my heart could be so full. Life certainly changed forever on May 30th.

4. Joining a church. This was a long time coming, and Husband and I both found a place that we felt comfortable. Brandon really seems to like it too, and we all look forward to it.

5. Maternity leave. What a blessing to be able to take 3 months off, and during the summer!

6. Brandon’s trip to the Boundary Waters. Although it was only Brandon who went on this trip, I think both Husband and I got just as much out of it by hearing him talk so excitedly about it!

7. State Fair Trip to Des Moines. This year’s trip didn’t actually involve a trip to the fair, but it was so special to be able to share my daughter with my friends and to have all of us and our kids together. I was the “last one” in the group to have a first baby, but the brood continues to grow!

8. New nephew. My nephew E was born in August, tripling the grandchild quotient on my side of the family. I love that he and Lucy are so close in age.

9. Lucy’s baptism. What a great day! Almost every single family member was in attendance, including my Grandma. It was a wonderful, family-oriented event full of traditions, and I’ll never forget how Lucy smiled at Pastor Paul when he anointed her.

10. Our first Christmas as a family of four. Christmas takes on a whole new meaning when there are kids in the house, big and small! Although the snow thwarted our travel plans, it actually ended up being kind of nice to just spend the holiday tucked indoors together. Of course sharing Lucy’s first Christmas with Husband’s family was also a hoot! (with my family to come this weekend!)

In 2010 I hope to remember that each day is a new adventure, and important in its own way. Here's to a great year and the start of a brand new decade!

No comments: