Saturday, February 28, 2009

Credit Where Credit is Due

I have to take a moment and use this opportunity to thank my Husband. He has been really thoughtful lately, but the other day in particular I was especially moved by his actions.

This must be prefaced by telling you that Husband I have been making more of an effort lately to connect, to actually have a chance to talk during the day. Sometimes if I have to work late I'm so tired and he's engrossed in his computer, and we hardly say more than a few words to each other before one of us goes off to bed. So, lately Husband has been giving me a quick call during the day, just to say hi, even if he has to leave a message. I've also made a dedication to come home at normal time at least one night a week, usually Wednesday, so we can have dinner together at a decent hour.

Thursday I was having a busy day at work, something that seems to be common lately. I was going from meeting to meeting, and didn't get back to my desk until later in the afternoon. I had a message.

It was this song, followed by Husband coming on saying he just thought this would be a message I could keep and listen to when I'm having a bad day or when I need to smile, because he knows that song always makes me smile (not to mention it sticks in my head the rest of the day). I thought it was really the sweetest thing, and I called him to tell him so, and also to confirm that I was going to be working late that night.

Thursday was also the day we got several inches of snow in the Twin Cities metro. As I left work at 8:30PM, I had to navigate through bitter winds and several drifts to get to my car, one of a few left in the parking lot. A work friend of mine was stuck just outside the entrance, spinning her wheels in the snow. Her boyfriend was coming to get her. I was not feeling good about getting out of there. I called Husband for help.

He made the trek across the metro with no complaints and no attitude. He got there, pushed my car out of the parking lot, and followed me home to make sure I didn't get stuck again. I felt a little silly for calling him all the way over, but so comforted knowing I (as well as our baby) was safe. Oh, and when I walked in the house? He had put some food in the crockpot, just for me, so I would be able to eat when I got home.

There are too few days in this life to let the people you love most become passing ships. A hectic schedule can make it too easy to take people for granted. Husband picks up a lot of slack for me when I have to work late, and never makes me feel bad (because heaven knows I impose enough of that on myself). I am a lucky girl, and our little one will be lucky to have such a father. Although I know he doesn't need public recognition, I just want him to know he is my rock, and I appreciate him so much.

1 comment:

Gramm said...

reading your blog ,Jessica reminded me of your grandpa many times he came into twn for m because of bad weather one time before he got 4 wheel drive pickup he came in with the tractor so I could be home these are things (one of them) that your sweetie does for you Bless them!!