Listen/watch here
I hear what you say
I see what you do
I know everything I need to know about you
And I want you to know that it’s tellin’ me
You wanna be my lover
La da da dee da da da da...
Many a pre-party were held at Buxton Hall, Room 302 in my sophomore year of college (1995-96). This infamous “suite” was home to me, two of my best buds Dana and Amy, and this other girl we don’t really talk about anymore. On any given Friday and/or Saturday evening after a trip to Pfeiffer Dining Hall to fill up on turkey tetrazzini, we would crack open some fine beers (Keystone, Natural Light, Icehouse) and begin our party primping. This often involved taking brews into the shower, or taking a shot while waiting for curlers to set (I’m sure my parents are really proud right now). Once we were dressed in our best party clothes, i.e. jeans and the ubiquitous mid-1990s flannel shirt, the stream of guests would start to arrive. Frequent socialites included Kristy, Laura, the boys across the hall aka Dirty, Flater, Hoger, Doug and Robby-Rob, and any number of random others.

There was always a steady stream of music being played, and some fairly creative, alcohol-induced dancing. One of our favorites was “Be My Lover,” a one-hit wonder which also spawned a complete choreographed dance routine, cleverly titled the “Be My Lover Dance.” If I hear it now, I still find myself motioning certain parts of the choreography. I think it also involved a lip-synced “rap” interlude by yours truly:
I…must con-fess, girl, yes I wanna be your lover
Take a chance, my love is like no other
On the dance floor gettin’ down
Hold tight, I’ll never let you down
My love’s definitely the key
Like Boyz 2 Men I’m on bended knee
Lovin’ you, not like your brother, aw yeah, I wanna be your lover…
Sadly, I did not have to look up those lyrics. One would think that by now, something more useful would have usurped this memory, but no…the words seem to have permanent residence in my brain.
Anyway, these events were called pre-parties because we usually had somewhere else to go, so sometime around 9PM we would shove spare beers in the waistband of our jeans and trek across the street to the fraternities, where there was basically more of the same. This weekend is the 10th reunion of my graduating college class [gulp]. Now that we’re all respectable and married and OLDER, it’s fun to think about those times once in awhile. I still find it hard to believe that with all that partying, we still managed to maintain pretty high GPAs. We were a little crazy but we sure had a lot of fun. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
6 comments:
OMG, you just made my day. Those were some the best times of my life! I remember choreographing the Be My Lover dance with you one night during a study break during finals weeks. Every time I hear that song it brings back memories.
What I want to know are who the heck are those guys in bottom of the 2nd pic?
Although we are all grown ups now, I treasure those memories and am so glad that we are all still great friends.
Remember when you worked at WalMart and we had to call you to bring home some toothbrushes because Mindy puked on ours??? Was that this night? I think there were some chip and candy bar requests too.
Sorry, Mike and Diane if you are reading this. :) Yes we had some crazy times, but have grown into responsible adults. :)
Buxton Hall sophomore year. Good times. Even though I didn't technically live there, those two rooms felt like home. Wonder what Flater is up to these days. Last I knew he was in Georgia doing forensics.
Yippee!! I LOVEd Buxton Hall! I precisely recall each event you described...particularly the lining of the drawers with beers for the walk down the hill. Remember that night when Miss Amy wasn't feeling well but literally didn't miss a step on that walk! And there was the night we scrubbed sidewalk chalk up at 3 a.m. and the night we limboed in the hall with Clay...SO much fun! I agree with both of you...those are some of my fondest memories. I was so lucky to have made such great friends! Makes me want to put in a Sarah M. CD, call in an order to Beave's, and...crack open a Biology book. Yes, Mike and Diane, I was the responsible one :) :)
Wait a minute...Has it REALLY been 10 years?!??! How did that happen? That means the people there now would think we were old. Hmmm.
I have only 1 more thing to say...
Carl's Beef...Not just a luncheon meat.
My Lord... why do those pictures look like they were from the 70's?!?! Did I see scooter and Doc in the top photo? One of these days I am going to start scanning photos and there might be a lot of sad people in the world ;-) But it will be tasteful
Oh the memories :o). Where did the time go? I wish I hadn't taken those days quite so seriously and had a little bit more fun as those days are long gone and will never happen again.
And, thanks for making me feel so damn old! Makes me want to put on a flannel, pour myself a drink, and sing some bad pop at the top of my lungs. Thanks for that walk down memory lane!
So am I to assume that I'm under the title of one of the "other random people" that came there?
And I'm very, very concerned when Cam starts talking about scanning old photos...
There goes my political career...
Jess, have any more of those photos?
Dave "Doc" Wilhelmi
Post a Comment