Thursday, October 09, 2008

Irony

A few weeks ago I took Buddy in for his final test for beginner obedience class. He’d been doing great in class and toward the end he was the only dog who stuck all the way through, so we got a lot of personal attention. By the end we were teaching him things that are part of the intermediate class.

All he had to do to pass was sit, lay down, stay for 30 seconds, walk with a loose leash, and 1 trick of our choice. He decided he really didn’t want to lay down that night, but eventually got there, and did the rest with flying colors. We also did 4 tricks (because he is awesome and super smart) and the trainer just ate it up. She complimented me on my progress as “pack leader”, and said there is a noticeable difference in Buddy’s demeanor since the beginning of class. She thinks he’s a very smart dog and even recommended that he could be a therapy dog if I am willing to go through the training to get certified.

I know I’m biased, but I get real satisfaction out of hearing (and experiencing) that he is smart. When we adopted him, we heard repeatedly from the shelter volunteers that “he isn’t the brightest bulb,” and “he’s really sweet, but he’s not the smartest.” They named him Meatball. I know he just passed a beginner class, but I’m really proud of our pup!

So I was flying high on this canine accomplishment, but was quickly brought back to reality about 2 days later when I came home to this:


I HAD PURCHASED THIS RUG 5 DAYS PRIOR. I thought it would be heavy enough to deter him from dragging it off. Apparently I was wrong, and apparently it’s also fun to chew on. There were reminders of this little indiscretion all over the yard.

He might be smart, but he’s still obnoxious. We start the intermediate class next week.

1 comment:

Michael said...

He's just partying after his big graduation. Or sticking it to the man.