Friday, March 21, 2008

You Put What in Your Applesauce?

This afternoon I was listening to talk radio and they were discussing gross food combinations. The conversation was spawned by one of the hosts devouring apple sauce with green olives mixed in, and the second host thinking that was pretty disgusting. I tend to agree. For some reason it kind of makes my teeth hurt to think about it.

The hosts asked people to call in. Some of the more formidable combos were boiled cabbage with ketchup; peanut butter and bologna sandwiches; and chocolate covered raisins with melted nacho cheese...

I don't think I really eat anything too strange, but I guess it's all relative. It never occurred to me that dipping my grilled cheese sandwich in ketchup might be considered odd until I did it for the first time in the college cafeteria, to stares of disbelief from my friends. I also like to mix mashed potatoes with corn, which I know grosses out those people who don't like their foods to touch even on the plate (you know who you are!) The only other thing I've been told is gross is sprinkling sugar on my raw tomatoes.

How about you, dear readers? Any hankerings for weird food combos? Fess up!

10 comments:

Kristi @ Sunday Afternoon said...

Those are pretty disgusting! All yours sound pretty normal...to me anyway! The first time Chad told me to mix a can of tuna in with the mac-n-cheese, I thought he was crazy, but it's actually pretty good! I also just started putting salsa in my mac-n-cheese...sans tuna though, that would be gross!

Anonymous said...

Chuck's grandpa has a sandwich that he always eats, it is boiled ham with peanut butter and pickles and i think he sometimes puts mayo on it. The sandwich grosses me out everytime i see it!!!

Jeremy said...

I think the tomato's with sugar came from grandma white. I used to eat them that way as well!

Jennifer said...

Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches are awesome as well as radish/butter and salt sandwiches! Have you ever tried peanut butter on an ear of sweet corn? Pretty good......I guess I like peanut butter!

Anskiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wheat bread with mayo and crushed Cool Ranch Doritos...

Diane Overmohle said...

Fried egg sandwich with ketchup. I love radish/butter and salt sandwiches!! How about peanut butter and jelly/bologna sandwich? I ate those while pregnant with you!

Kristi @ Sunday Afternoon said...

I didn't even notice your Etsy wishes WAAAYYY down on the bottom :)

Anonymous said...

A hamburger with a fried egg and a halved hot dog on top. I put ketsup on it. This is a special one night a year for tuesday night league at the country club. I think it is honor of a guy who died on the #6 green.
The burger is a lot better than it sounds.

Laura said...

I got those same looks in college with the grilled cheese, so we must not have been sitting together!

My mom likes banana sandwiches with peanut butter and mayo- yuck!