Friday, March 07, 2008

Presumptive Assumptions

Lastnight as I was driving home, I reached into my bag for my wallet. It was not in the place it should be. Some idle perusing revealed nothing. I worried that I had left it on my desk at work. In fact I convinced myself I was sure I had left it on my desk. Then I worried the cleaning guy or someone else might be tempted to swipe it. Given the impending house purchase, this would be a very bad time to lost my wallet.

I called my office mate and asked if he could look to see if it was there. As he was looking, I dug deeper into my bag, and voila! It was right there. I kicked myself for making the assumption and calling my co-worker before I took the time to really look.

Later that evening Husband and I went out for dinner. I paid our bill and stuck my wallet back in my coat pocket. Or did I? We got home and as we walked in the door, I reached into my pocket and it wasn't there. I got into the driver's side of Husband's vehicle and looked over in the passenger seat. Nothing there. I figured of course I left my wallet at the restaurant. I had forgotten the remaining pork chop that the waitress had packaged up for me, so it made sense that I would be so stupid as to leave my wallet there also. So I drove back to the restaurant (luckily within 5 minutes of our place) and guess what? They didn't have it. Hadn't seen it. A sickening feeling came over me...did someone take it? As I walked back to the car, mind racing, I need to call the bank, I need to call my credit card company, how is this going to affect my credit report? I thought I'd better take one last look in the Envoy. I opened the passenger door this time, and reached my hand down between the seat and the console, and once again, voila.

I am lucky, but I can't help but think the universe is trying to tell me something. Like "hang onto your money, girl," or maybe even "quit worrying so much about money, things will work out." But the message that came through loud and clear is that I NEED TO SLOW DOWN. Take a moment to think about what I'm doing. Have a little faith in myself.

Don't automatically assume the worst.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I did the same thing- twice- last week! I misplaced my debit card... I know the feeling of dread!