Say What?!
I woke up this morning with the song "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton-John in my head. I have not heard this song recently, so it must have been triggered by something in a dream. And no, it was not that kind of dream. I think I would remember that.
Anyway, it got me thinking about how when you're young, the meaning of certain songs completely escapes you. You like a song because of the beat, the melody, whatever. You may have been singing every word as an 8-year-old, but had no idea what you were saying. Now listening as an adult, you're thinking "Whoa! Did my parents know I was listening to this?!"
Take "Let's Get Physical." It's about working out, right? I remember the video, with Olivia and all those sweaty fat guys in the gym, and the surprise! shocking! ending. But I'm pretty sure the song is not just about an afternoon on the treadmill.
Some other examples:
Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard
As a kid I wondered why on earth anyone would want sugar poured on them. Gross!
As an adult I realize the power of the metaphor.
Little Red Corvette - Prince
A guy singing about his car, sweet.
Car = girl; the oldest analogy around.
Rock You Like a Hurricane - Scorpions
Yeah! This song rocks! Like a hurricane! Powerful rock!
Google those lyrics and you will be amazed. My mouth dropped. Shame on German hair bands!
Is this proof that our top-40 songs are inundated with sexual innuendo?
Or is it proof that people rarely pay attention to lyrics, and if you've got a good beat and a kick-ass chorus, you've got it made?
You be the judge.
3 comments:
"Or is it proof that people rarely pay attention to lyrics, and if you've got a good beat and a kick-ass chorus, you've got it made?"
Blues Traveler - Hook
Perfect illustration of the point!
Then's there's the totally to the point song, like "All I Wanna Do is Make Love to You", by Heart or someone from Heart? I heard this song the other day and I really listened to the words and I was like wha?? Did she just pick this guy up off the corner or something, never really explained that. That song makes me uncomfortable...
Post a Comment