Saturday, April 28, 2007

Housing Update

Some of you know that Husband and I have been thinking of buying a house...our lease here at the duplex is up the end of this month. Several weeks ago we asked our landlord if he would consider a 6-month or month-to-month lease, as we thought this fall would be a nice time for us to buy.

Just a few days ago, he let us know he will not do it. So...our two options are to be out by this June 30th, or sign another year lease. Per our lease, if we vacate prior to the end date, we'll be responsible for paying out the remainder of the lease.

We're signing for another year. There's really no other option, other than trying to move in the next 2 months, which is not a lot of time and the money isn't quite there yet. As my wise younger brother said (the middle one), a few more months doesn't make that much of a difference. I suppose he is right, but it is kind of a bummer. We had finally seen the light financially, but I guess waiting a little longer only means we have a larger down payment in this over-inflated housing market here in the Twin Cities. There is lots of housing available right now, and hopefully that stays the case for awhile longer. Hopefully the interest rates stay in check as well.

There are worse places to be, and the rent is very affordable comparatively. The duplex is a great fit for us, and especially now that the weather is nice and we have the deck, it's hard to complain. It may be a little inconvenient on some other levels to move in late winter/early spring, but I know it will go fast, just like this year did. Years from now as we're settled in our own house, we'll fondly remember the duplex with the green carpet as the first place we lived as a married couple.

1 comment:

The Palmers said...

I know how that goes...I am so anxious to buy a house! Our lease is up in 4 months, so we have kind of been looking at houses in our neighborhood, but nothing catches the eye. I think we'll end up renting for a few more months after our lease is up...I think our landlord will actually let us rent month by month...he's letting our neighbors do that anyway! Well I hope you enjoy your time at the duplex with the green carpet....our carpet is a boring brown!!!