This Independence Day was a bit different than years past, in that we actually stayed home instead of traveling back to my hometown in Iowa. I hail from a small town, but it puts on quite a 4th of July celebration, and the holiday has always been a family affair. There's a parade, carnivals, events, games, and fireworks - you name it. It's been quite a few years since we have not traveled there for the 4th, but since it was in the middle of the week this year and Husband couldn't get any other days off, it just didn't seem to make sense to go for just a day.
I found myself really missing my family and the events on this day, and I really wanted to do something to celebrate the holiday with Lucy. What I really wanted to find was a good parade, and luckily, I was successful! I found one in the nearby suburb of Edina. We went a little early because I wasn't sure what to expect, but parking was a cinch. It was obvious that most of the attendees live in the surrounding neighborhoods, because there were already a lot of chairs and blankets set out and many people walking to the route. We couldn't find a spot right on the street, but found a patch of grass behind the sidewalk and most importantly in the shade, because it was a hot and humid day. Some people right on the street were kind enough to let Lucy and a couple of other kids sitting next to us go and sit on the curb so they could be front-row for the candy tossing.
![]() |
| Before the parade. I actually got her to wear a ponytail, and she kept it in the whole time! |
By the time the parade was done around 11:15 or so, it was starting to get really hot. We got in the car and stopped at Bruegger's for lunch, which luckily happened to be open because the girl was getting a little cranky from hunger! When we got home she took a nice long nap, then we played in the pool in the yard for awhile and made supper. We weren't sure if we would make fireworks or not, since it had been such a long (and hot) day. At around 9PM Lucy was still awake, but laying on the couch. When I asked if she was tired, she said, "yes, lay with me." I laid down with her and within 5 minutes she was snoozing. So that answered the question on fireworks! I wasn't too sad since it was still 90 degrees at that time of night!
All in all a wonderful 4th, even if it wasn't our traditional course of events.

No comments:
Post a Comment