Friday, January 02, 2009

Tunes on 2s: 1999 – Prince (1983)

Listen/watch here. (I couldn't find an actual Prince performance video, but this some classic footage from Soul Train that you cannot miss - trust me).

Two thousand zero zero party over, oops out of time
So tonight I’m gonna party like it’s 1999…

I heard this song a couple of weeks ago on the local 80s radio station, and was taken back in time (a whole decade!) I remember this song being played on New Year’s Eve 1998, at a dance club in Des Moines called Pumpers (don’t get any ideas…it was a fire house theme). Pumpers was an interesting place that always seemed to bring some weird experiences my way. For instance, shortly after my 21st birthday (1997), I was at Pumpers with some girlfriends and got talked into participating in an on-stage dating game, and consequently won a date with a local sportscaster who was – gasp! – 29 years old. The date was OK but I remember thinking he was too old. Another time at Pumpers, I ran into my high school basketball coach, which was weird to say the least.

On this particular New Year’s 1998, I met a seemingly nice guy who asked me out on a date. A couple weeks later I drove to Des Moines from Iowa City for our date, and got stood up. I went to a Des Moines Buccaneers hockey game with my friend Kristy instead. He called a couple days later with some story about an ex-girlfriend who found out he was going on a date and got all crazy, and would I consider going out with him another time? (As a matter of fact, no I would not). So do you see what I mean about Pumpers?

Anyway, I digress…as we grooved out on the dance floor to Prince near midnight in 1998, we were all commenting on how weird it was that it was actually going to be 1999. As for the actual New Year’s Eve 1999, I was hunkered down at a friend’s house waiting for the apocalypse and all of the computers to crash as the clock struck midnight and the calendar turned to 2000. OK, actually, I drank a lot of alcohol, most likely Captain Morgan, and took photos like this:



That's my friend Amy looking charming in the foreground, and that's me in the back looking...yeah. FYI that post-it on my decolletage says "2000." In case I forgot, I guess?

So that’s kind of a circuitous route to the point, but the song was the catalyst to all of those places and people. In any case, I definitely partied like it was 1999 more than once.

Where did you party like it was 1999?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lordy Lordy...

I was thinking about that New Years Eve at Pumpers this past New Years Eve and thinking about how I can't believe it has been 10 years since that night! I totally forgot about that guy and his psycho ex. What I remember the most about that night is that it was so crowded and they ran out of TP but that nice girl who recognized us from Simpson had rationed some TP and gave us a square. That was my one and only New Years Eve spent at a bar. It was fun, but once was enough for me!

Oh yes, the next year at Kristy's where that wonderful photo was taken. That was a classic photo. I believe there are some more from that night that could not be published here. :)

Well now I am old and spent New Years Eve playing Little Einstein Bingo and watching Alvin and Chipmunks. After Addison went to bed Matt and I played 80's Trivia Pursuit.

Anyway, I am lucky to have such a great friend like you to have shared all those crazy times with! Thanks for letting me relive those memories with you story!

That photo makes me laugh everytime I see it.

Sorry for the long comment! Love you!!

Laura said...

Love the picture!!

That is so funny about the TP story:)

I spent new years 1999 with ben in Syracuse... drinking champagne and watching the ball drop.
This year I was in bed at 10 and up at 4:30 when Maggie decided to get up!