One of Those Nights That Makes You Smile
Lastnight I had dinner at Cafe 421 with my friends Mary and Jacquie. We meet approximately every 6-8 weeks, and take turns choosing a new restaurant. This time we also decided to extend the evening by attending a show featuring Carrie Rodriguez and Tim Easton at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis. Food was good, wine was great, the company was better, and the show was excellent. Tim Easton is an old favorite, but Carrie Rodriguez was new to me. She's kind of a cross between Allison Krauss and Lucinda Williams... a fiddle player with a sweet voice, but a marked twang. Not as edgy as Lucinda, but probably considered alt-country just the same. She's a good entertainer and while some of her stuff has yet to grow on me, she's got an undeniable, pure voice that was quite amazing at times. I'll be keeping my eye on her! Overall just a grand evening, probably made better by the fact that The Varsity as a venue is outstanding. It was my first time there and I will definitely be going back. Maybe for the U.S. air guitar championships on June 16th!
1 comment:
I've heard Carrie before (never live). I like her music.
-Joe
Post a Comment