Thursday, August 22, 2013

Money and Nail Polish Flower Bouquet

Say what?

We got a list from our niece with her birthday gift wishes, which went a little something like this:

The list is mostly want to least want.

 1.iTunes card (mostly want)
 2.Money
 3.Stuffed animal from Fleet Farm-teddy bear
 4.Mints
 5.Pillows from Pier 1 Import
 6.Gift cards for Justice+Target
 7.Nail polish+nail polish remover
 8.Clothes

Money was easy, but how could I make it into something more than sticking bills in a card? Maybe I could try making some of those folded money flowers? As I browsed the list, an idea started to form...why not add some bottles of nail polish to some money flowers, and make a bouquet. 

So this is what I came up with:




The very best part of this project was that I used things that we already had on hand (minus the nail polish). I had some clay pots around for Lucy to paint, and she enjoyed painting one for Miss H. I had floral foam from her birthday party a couple of years ago, when we made cake pops. Lucy cut up scraps of scrapbook paper I saved from another project for the grass. The purple pipe cleaners were from one of her school projects

I made the money flowers using this tutorial, and it was pretty easy! I used a glue gun to attach them to the pipe cleaners. Lucy and I assembled everything but the nail polish before we left, and bought four bottles on the way to the party. While I was in the store, I realized I should probably cover up the labels on the bottom of the bottles with something, so I picked up some Mentos and while driving to the party, filtered out the yellow ones and taped them to the bottles I had stuck in the foam. Voila! It turned out really cute, and the birthday girl loved it.

And I didn't even need Pinterest! :)


No comments: