Dear Lucy,
Today you are FOUR YEARS OLD! You have been waiting for this day for a long time, asking “how many days until my birthday?” and saying, “maybe I can do that when I’m four years old.” You get an extended birthday celebration – with your friends at school today, a special day with Mom and Dad tomorrow, and a family party on Saturday. Special times for a special girl!
You have grown up so much this past year. You’re just finishing up your first full year of preschool, and we have really enjoyed seeing your development both socially and academically. You’re getting really good at recognizing all your letters and we’re working on sounding out words. You still love to have books read to you, and will often take the book from me and re-tell the story as you flip through the pages. You’re crazy about coloring and anything art-related, and can often be found with markers and paper strewn around you. Many evenings you are pretending to be “the mom” and taking good care of your animals and babies, or dropping them off with “Grandma” (we have to talk about that) while you go to work. You like movies and TV, but you won’t pass up a chance to walk the dog or ride your bike, or just walk around the yard and pick flowers or check the strawberries in your garden, or the peas you and Daddy planted. Singing is also high on your list of priorities, and in addition to standards you have many unique songs “in your head” which are hilarious and creative.
You tried lots of new things this year, too. Dance class, soccer, swimming, and ice skating, to name a few. You like dance, which is half dance/half tumbling, but are usually more interested in what everyone else is doing, vs. what you're supposed to be doing. You really come alive when it's time to go into the gym, and I'm thinking you're just more of a "free play" kind of girl, and feel more comfortable when you can move about the way you want to. :) Swimming was a hit until you suddenly became scared and clingy to your teacher towards the end, but we'll try again in the fall. You liked soccer and will do that again this summer, too. Ice skating was special Daddy/Lucy time, and I know that's something you'll probably do more of next winter.
We are not without challenging times…getting you out the door in the morning (or anytime) can be a chore. You’re quite a putzer and can find a million other things you “have to do” besides get your shoes on or brush your teeth. It drives your mama crazy! You’re generally a pretty happy kid, but you can turn on the drama at the drop of a hat when you’re tired, hungry, or just feeling sassy. I never thought you’d be slamming doors already, but it has happened. Listening is something you certainly exercise selectively. We talk A LOT about listening. There are times you also give up too easily and revert to those two words your Daddy hates to hear, “I can’t.” We are trying to be better about pushing you to at least try.
You are a brilliant negotiator. You don’t often take “no” at face value and you ask a MILLION questions. You’re in full “why” mode which I don’t mind, but it gets frustrating when you don’t find my answers acceptable. J Many times I can’t argue with your reasoning! You’re a talker and a leader. You love your friends and after several minutes of being shy and quiet, you fall in easily with kids you just met. One of your teachers just commented to me last week how well you also communicate and interact with adults, which I see through the special relationships you have with your grandparents and your aunts and uncles.
Over the past couple of months I do sense a change in you; you seem more calm and frankly, are simply delightful most of the time. Every day I look forward to coming home to talk to you. You are discovering new things every minute and I love answering your questions and asking what you think. You’re so funny and insightful in the things you come up with! Daddy and I are constantly cracking up at your proclamations or facial expressions (most of the time, the two go together).
Overall, I feel as though we have really settled into a groove as a family. You are a smart, funny, caring little girl (I know, I know…you’re not LITTLE!) and we are just so blessed and lucky to have you.
No comments:
Post a Comment