Sunday, October 02, 2011

Tunes on 2s
Who I Am - Jessica Andrews (2001)

I am Rosemary's granddaughter
The spitting image of my father
And when the day is done
My mama's still my biggest fan

Sometimes
I'm clueless and I'm clumsy
But I've got friends who love me
And they know where I stand

It's all a part of me...
That's who I am

Listen/watch here.

Several months ago a cousin of mine posted some lyrics to this song on Facebook, and it reminded me of how much I love it. For you see, this cousin of mine and I (and many others) are indeed Rosemary's granddaughters. I'm more a spitting image of my mother; and I consider my dad one of my biggest fans, so reverse that line and it still works. The clumsy lyric reminds me of a story my Grandma Mardie still likes to tell, about how when I was about Lucy's age I would stumble and say "I such a clutz!" And I have to say, I have some of the greatest friends a girl could ever ask for.

But certainly, it is being the granddaughter of Rosemary Overmohle that makes this song give me goosebumps every time. Losing her in the 2003 was a hard thing for many of us. I remember a couple of weeks after this song was re-introduced to me through that Facebook post, I was driving to work on a Sunday night after putting Lucy to bed, trying to get ahead on my workload. I really didn't want to go in, but felt I had to. I was feeling tired and  just plain overwhelmed. Things were just a bit too much for me in that moment. I was listening to the country station on low, my mind racing and my emotions just under the surface. Somewhere along I-94 I heard the opening notes to this song. I turned it up and burst into stress-relieving tears. I am one of those people who believes that the people who have left us send us little gifts, and this was truly one. What were the odds, this song from 2001 coming on the radio at that moment?

I was going to be alright.

I am proud to be Rosemary's granddaughter.

Thanks Jessica Andrews, wherever you are.

There is one photo that I have of my Grandma Rosemary and I. Unfortunately, I have put it in such a safe place that I cannot find it. The best I can do is a photo of the photo, which I put on a sign on my back when I walked in the Breast Cancer 3-Day in her memory (2004).





1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Jessica ~ You need to know that I still enjoy reading your blogs so much! I hope you never stop blogging.