Age Ain't Nothin' But a Number
Lastnight I was able to throw a little surprise party for Husband's 40th birthday. My guy is not easy to surprise...nor am I very good at fibbing, so this was a feat! He is also notorious for not being too jazzed about celebrating his birthday. For the longest time when I asked if he wanted to do something for this milestone, he said "no." But then a few weeks ago I asked again and he said "whatever." I considered this an open door! I called on our friend Bryan to help get it all together.
I told Husband that Lucy and I were taking him out to eat on Friday (his actual birthday was Thursday). I was a little worried when he got home that evening, because he said he had a massive headache and didn't feel well. He was a trooper and went out to dinner with us, and then I told him we had somewhere else to go. He didn't really know what was going on until I pulled into the party venue. We actually arrived before all but a few guests, which worked out fine since he's not a big party/surprise kind of guy in the first place. The surprise was in seeing who came through the door next. I was even able to find an old high school friend of his through Facebook, who actually showed up! I think that was a pleasant surprise and they had a good time talking throughout the night. It was a relatively small party, no more than about 20 people, and it was celebratory and relatively understated at the same time. Everything fell into place!
There were several reasons I wanted to throw this party, but the biggest of all was that life has thrown a few curveballs lately, and Husband deserved to be celebrated and to have a little fun. I hope it is something he will always remember.



No comments:
Post a Comment