Dear Lucy,
Little one, you are one year old today, and I can hardly believe how quickly the time has passed. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that your daddy and I brought you home from the hospital.
The day you were born I knew my life would change, but I really had no clue how much, or how happy you would make me. Sometimes I don't get enough sleep, or I get stressed about work because I want to spend more time with you, but when you smile at me or say "mama" it pretty much takes it all away. You have been such a good baby from Day 1 - a good sleeper, a good eater, and just a happy little girl all around. I've learned not to be totally fooled by that little grin, though...when you want something or aren't happy with something, you throw your whole body into letting people know. :) You're a little daredevil and although it makes me frustrated sometimes, it's one of the things I love most about you right now. You are discovering yourself, your likes, your dislikes...and learning to express your feelings. I love to watch you grow.
The world is so wide open to you at the moment. You've found new ways of expressing yourself, and lately it's all about pointing and babbling. You seem to know exactly what you are saying. We have no clue, but we try to respond enthusiastically and encourage you to find your words. "Uh-oh" and "mama" are regulars, but every once in awhile you form a word that sounds awfully like the real thing. It won't be long before those babbles turn into words.
You took your first few steps all on your own two days before your first birthday. You don't seem too anxious to become totally independent, but soon enough you'll be chasing Buddy around the house. You're such a busy little thing, always moving. You explore everything, and if you find something interesting you will bang it against something else and likely stick it in your mouth. You want to know what everything looks like, sounds like, and how it tastes. The world is all yours, little one. You're just getting to be such a big girl...it's a little bittersweet for your mommy. It's hard to get you to sit still sometimes, but when you do I try to soak in all the cuddles while I can.

Lucy, you are the light of my life, and the apple of your daddy's eye. Your big brother loves to play with you and make you giggle. There are so many people around you who love you. The day you were born I loved you instantly, and I had no idea that my heart could hold so much more. Happy Birthday, Punky.
Love,
Mama
1 comment:
Love this. She is a special girl.
Grandma Laabs
Post a Comment