A few months ago my dear Husband suggested that we take a trip, just the two of us. He thought Vegas might be fun, so I said sure. We didn't have much of a plan for the trip. We just knew we wanted to see a show, go Downtown, and relax. We managed to accomplish all three. For a gambler and a non-gambler, I think we did pretty well. I don't mind wandering around by myself, which I did a couple of times while Hubs was bringing home the big bucks. His itch for gambling also played well to my need to catch up on sleep. If he was much of a partier, I would have been a sorry companion. I was in bed by 10PM most nights!
The trip was certainly not short on interesting experiences. Here are a few things I learned:
*Each cab ride is an adventure. Our very first cab ride, the driver was playing a game on his phone while at a stoplight. He didn't even attempt to hide it by turning the sound off. This little distraction also prevented him from noticing the po-po that pulled up right next to us, who proceeded to give him a nice warning buzz when he broke out of that light like a bat out of hell.
*Massages are wonderful. OK, I didn't learn this on the trip. But I remembered it. On Monday I was treated to an 80-minute massage in the hotel spa. It.was.FANTASTIC. Like many of the things that require me to take time for myself, I was talked into it by Husband. He's cool like that.
*Be careful what you ask for. I wanted to see a Cirque du Soleil show, and our concierge fsuggested Le Reve. Husband politely obliged. I don't know if it was the total lack of storyline or perhaps the fact that the men were wearing less than the women, but he was not a fan. Days later I'm in still awe of it, but not even sure if I really liked it. Researching it when we got home, I discovered it was not an official Cirque show at all; rather it was created by someone with Cirque experience. Not a big deal, but a bit disappointing...and now there's probably no way in hell I'll get Husband to go to a real Cirque show.
*People don't dress up for shows. Regarding the above "experience," I expected the price of the tickets sort of dictated that this was not Casual Friday. Not so. You could even order tubs of popcorn and 22 oz sodas from the concessionaire. It just seemed weird to me.
*Downtown Vegas is awesome. This was my first time Downtown, and I loved the feel of it. The casinos weren't as crowded, and Husband and I bellied up to the bar for video poker and video blackjack (respectively) to take advantage of the free bar service. Husband was on the downside of his winning streak, so we didn't stay long, but it may have been my favorite thing that we did.
*Slots can be fun. I'm the relative non-gambling half of this pairing, and I've never been a big fan of slots. Put your hard-earned money into a machine, and piss it away on total chance. Not my cup of tea. However, upon returning from Downtown, I was still feeling the mojo so I went down to play slots in our casino home (Harrahs). Pulling $90 out of "Penguin Paradise" on a $20 investment may have prompted a change of heart.
All in all, a good trip that allowed Husband and I to spend a little quality time together, get some sun, and get away from the daily grind. What do you think, could this be us in 20 years? :)
1 comment:
Downtown Vegas was definitely our favorite when we went a few years back as well! So glad you were able to get away and have some fun, just the 2 of you:)
Post a Comment