Monday, November 30, 2009

6 Months

What a milestone! Lucy is 6 months old today. I can hardly believe our little Lucybug has been with us for half a year.

Lucy continues to grow like a weed; I don’t have specific measurements yet, but I think it’s safe to say she’s around 21.5 pounds, and by my at-home measurement she is over 28 inches. I had her in the doctor last week (turned out to be no big deal) and they said she wins the “Cutest Thighs” award, because my are they chunky! (Takes after her mama, but it looks better on her). As you might expect she continues to eat well, and we are now transitioning into some Stage 2 baby foods and mashed-up home foods that have a little more texture. She's still putting anything and everything in her mouth, but really seems to be chomping down lately, with lots of drool. Maybe there are some teeth coming?

The biggest change this month is that Lucy is back on the move. She is a rolling and wiggling machine! She started rolling from her belly to back again just a few days after I wrote the 5-month recap, and shortly after that I saw her roll from back to belly for the first time. Ever since then, it’s constant movement when she’s on the floor or anywhere else. She's gotten up on her knees a couple of times, so it shouldn't be long now! She is in general more aggressive with her play, i.e. actively grabbing and reaching, and many times knocking things over – either because she’s not quite coordinated enough to manage it, or just because she enjoys the sound it makes. And oh, the sounds from her precious mouth…more shrieks and babbles, and more giggles. Love it! The dog seems to be the one thing that will make her laugh most consistently. She loves her Buddy.

Lucy is also back to sleeping through the night! WA-HOO!! Again, shortly after I wrote the last blog she just went back to sleeping through, no apparent reason why. She goes to bed around 7:30PM with no issues, and wakes around 6AM. Sometimes I have to wake her, other times I find her flipped over on her belly, looking up at me or quietly playing in her crib. She always has a big smile for whomever comes in to get her. We can’t quite figure out where she got this happy morning attitude, but I won’t complain. Those morning smiles are what make me get out of bed without hitting snooze.

We have started using a few baby signs with Lucy, mostly centered around eating. We use the signs for milk, more, and “all done.” It’s a little early yet, but I’ve read it can take months of babies observing the sign before they start to use it. Lucy seems to know what the sign for milk means, so that is some progress. She just amazes me every day with the things she can put together. She seems very curious about words and sounds now, and her big thing lately is to grab people’s faces or lips when they are talking (or consequently, singing in church). Kind of cute until she catches you with a fingernail! (Here she is with Bailey, a friend's daughter):

Lucy is becoming more expressive and has increased her arsenal of “looks” (which her father says come from me). She knows her name and will turn her head toward you when you say it – although sometimes she is also obviously ignoring us, and I can tell you it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that a 6-month-old can deliver attitude without making a sound. She is also expressing some emotions more vocally, and although she does not cry very often, there are a few things that seem to start the waterworks. She will burst into tears at the sound of a vacuum or sometimes the blow dryer. Occasionally she will fuss or cry if I leave the room. And MY are those tears hard to handle…big crocodile tears with the quivering lip and everything. Yes, she’s learning how to work it. :) She is still sometimes apprehensive of people she doesn’t know well or see very often, but then other times she’s giving smiles to everyone in the store when we’re shopping. Overall she seems to be an incredibly content and happy baby, and we really couldn’t ask for more.

As for what we’re looking forward to in December…BRING ON CHRISTMAS!!


No comments: