What Happened to Thanksgiving?
I was in the grocery store today and discovered they had Christmas cookies already made and packaged up. Considering the shelf-life of a store bakery cookie is probably a week or so, what are people thinking? Will folks actually buy blatantly decorated red and green, Christmas tree-shaped cookies at this time of year?
Friday night we were at Lowe's, and they already have a forest of artificial trees, lights and a myriad of decorations. Not to mention all of the Christmas candy that filled the aisles at Target as soon as Halloween was over. There is a local radio station that is already playing Christmas tunes 24/7.
While Christmas is a wonderful, joyous holiday that I look forward to each year, I think Thanksgiving gets a bad rap. It's a great day, filled with family and food and taking the time to think about what we're thankful for. Can't we pause long enough to enjoy it, without jumping ahead to Christmas? Maybe if we slowed down, we'd enjoy both Thanksgiving and Christmas even more.
November 28th, all bets are off and the decorations can come out. But for now, I'm not looking past the 27th. I'm very much looking forward to sharing a table with family and giving thanks for all I have been blessed with this year.
1 comment:
Yep, it's the same complaint every year. Every year, right after Halloween, all the Christmas stuff comes out in the retail stores.
I think for the most part, people do take the time to enjoy Thanksgiving, it's just the retailers that jump ahead, but that's the case with every holiday. It's all about the sales! I'm with you, I'm not jumping past the 27th!
It's also sad that Christmas has morphed into this weird holiday that focuses on presents and trees and plastic yard ornaments and has become a billion dollar industry.
Post a Comment