Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day - It's Getting a Little Gassy in Here

I’d like to take the opportunity on this Earth Day to share some of my thoughts about gas. Not the kind that comes from “uh-oh, shouldn't have had that Taco Bell..." but the kind we put in our vehicles. The kind that is costing us upwards of $3.50 per gallon at the moment, and is likely to climb near $4.00 in the near future if projections are correct. The high cost of gasoline and diesel makes it cost more to transport goods, and translates to higher prices at the pump and also at the grocery store, among other things. I can’t deny this hurts when it takes $40 to fill up my Honda Civic (how much more am I loving that little fuel-efficient car right now?!), or $60 to fill the Envoy. Thinking about a road trip kind of makes my stomach hurt.

But on this Earth Day I ask you, are higher gas prices all bad?

As Americans, we love our cars, and our roadway infrastructure was designed to make it very easy for us to drive from Point A to Point B. Driving is convenient, and many of us make our daily trips alone. That’s a lot of cars on the roadways. The effects of driving in general can have significant environmental and health impacts. More and more vehicles are added to the roadways each year, resulting in congestion that contributes to air quality issues, noise, water pollution from leaks and application of road salt, and increased use of oil, which is not an infinite resource. Between inconsistent commute times and congested roadways, Americans are spending an average of 3 days per year sitting in traffic. Going nowhere.

I don’t know about you, but I could think of better ways to spend those 3 days.

So will $3.00 per gallon make us change our driving behavior? When prices broke the $2.00 barrier, behaviors did not change significantly, and the extra cost was absorbed without much fuss. As prices continued to rise, the complaints grew louder, but only as the $3.00 barrier has been broken and gas quickly became $3.49+ per gallon are we starting to take a good hard look at how we drive. It seems the only way to get us to change our habits is to hit us where it hurts – in the bank account.

I am already starting to see changes that have been a long time coming. I’ve heard several people say they are driving less, not taking those discretionary trips. We have made some of these decisions at our house too. Car manufacturers are starting to respond to consumer demands for more fuel-efficient vehicles – even in the SUV market. I know people that have now started to ride the bus to work instead of drive. Others are working all or part of their work week from home.

So if a higher bill at the gas pump makes me drive less and/or drive more efficiently…makes me stop and THINK about what I’m doing and where I’m going…then I’ve got to believe that other people are doing it too. All of this stopping to THINK and modifying habits can turn into something very good for us and the environment. This could very well be the beginning of an overall shift in human behavior, and it could lead to better, more sustainable and responsible living in the future. If it takes $4.00 gas to start making these things happen, I say bring it. We cannot continue on this path of infinite growth in a finite world.

This is what I THINK. There’s a lot of hope in there too.

Just for the record, I have little patience for those that complain about the extra cost of gas, but still pick up a $3 or $4 coffee on their way to work every day. Life is full of choices, and it’s time to start making some good ones.

Click here for tips on how to make the most of the gas in your tank.

1 comment:

Michelle B said...

Well said Jessica! I had a long debate about Gas $$ with co-worker this week while at a conference. I wish I would have had your words in front of me...as you made some very good points!